It is well known that it is recommended to drink 8 glasses of water each day to stay sufficiently hydrated. There is no other verified theory that exists.
Of course we all know that the human body needs to stay hydrated, but this doesn’t just happen from water. There are other drinks such as coffee, juice, beer and tea that contain quantities of water. Along with liquids, there is also fruit and vegetables.
Water is the best drink in order to maintain hydration, but it isn’t the only source of hydration. Knowing the quantity of water that you should drink each day varies according to a variety of different factors such as age, weight and sex along with the type of food and drink that you consume in your diet.
How to consume the correct quantity of water
Do you know the quantity of water that you should be drinking each day? Did you know that it depends on a number of things? Below, you will find a number of tips in order to find out how much water you need to drink and to maintain your hydration levels.
- Drink before each meal – Drink a glass of water before each meal to help maintain your hydration levels and to form a habit which will encourage you to drink more water throughout the day. In addition, drinking water before and during meals will improve your metabolism. Find out other ways to increase your metabolism and reach your weight loss goals.
- Hydrate yourself as soon as you wake up – Before eating breakfast, drink a glass of water. Repeat this action just before you go to bed. Throughout the day, keep in mind how much you drink and have a clear goal to stay hydrated.
- Drink flavoured water – If you aren’t used to drinking water constantly, drink flavoured water. You can first try with strawberries, lemons or herbs, but remember to never add extra sugar.
Constantly drink water throughout the day to stay hydrated, especially when you’re tired, you can’t concentrate or if your skin and lips feel dry. This is because your body is dehydrated.
Try not to obsess over the quantity of water that you should be drinking. Even though 2 litres of water is recommended each day, the human body is capable of maintain itself before becoming too dehydrated.
Advantages of drinking sufficient water
Even though water isn’t the only substance that provides us with hydration doesn’t mean that is an irreplaceable substance. Below you will find the benefits of drinking water daily.
- Maintain the water balance in the body – We know that the body is made up of 70% of water. Water is used throughout many functions of the body such as the digestive system, absorption and transportation of nutrients amongst other things.
- Gives us energy – Muscles that are deprived of water shrink and become tired very easily. Drinking enough fluids is important throughout the day but is even more so during exercise.
- Prevents illnesses – This is one of the biggest motives for drinking water. Water helps the body to eliminate toxins in the body. Flushing out the toxins prevents bacteria from staying in the body and therefore reduces the risk of becoming ill.
- Helps you to lose weight – Even though water doesn’t contain any components that can physically aid with weight loss, substituting alcoholic drinks and soft drinks for water significantly reduces the calorie intake. Drinking water can give you the feeling of being full and therefore prevents unnecessary cravings.