Seasonal fruits are essential for our bodies as they provide essential vitamins and minerals that our body needs during the changing seasons. As the climates change our bodies need different nutrients to help us cope with the heat of the summer or the cold of winter. Do you know which fruits are more popular in the different seasons?
Because of the wide variety of supermarkets, it’s difficult to know which products are typical of each season. Fruits come from various parts of the world and therefore throughout the whole year, we have a wide range of fruit and vegetables on offer regardless if it’s the correct season for them.
Although, the majority of time, fruits are available throughout the year and are tasty during all seasons, spring is the season that introduces us to a wider variety of fruit. This is because during the months of March, April, May and early June the production of fruit is greater as the climate is more suitable to more fruits. But what kind of fruits can you find in this season?
What are the fruits of spring?
Spring starts on the 21st of March and ends on the 21st of June. During these months we can find a variety of fruits with a wide range of benefits and properties. Make a note of your favourite fruits and try and add them into your diet.
- Lemon – Also rich in vitamin C, the lemon has an intense citrus taste and has many health benefits during the spring months.
- Rhubarb – packed with minerals, vitamins, and other nutrients that make it ideal for keeping our bodies healthy. Some of these precious components are fibre, protein, vitamin C, vitamin K.
- Orange – another citrus fruit well known for it’s high vitamin C levels and fibre to help maintain the functioning of our digestive systems.
- Grapefruit – another citrus fruit bursting with vitamin C and an intense citrus taste
- Apricot – very popular for this time of year and is well known for its high levels in beta carotene
- Cherries – a handful of this red fruit will contribute to the cleansing of the body and the cleaning of toxins.
- Nectarine – a variety of the peach and contains high levels of vitamin B3
- Avocado – (yes it is classed as a fruit) full of potassium, fibre, proteins and Omega 3 which are all essential for a healthy diet.
- Figs – very popular during the months of April, May and June, known for its digestive properties.
- Peach – Peaches are low in calories, contain no saturated fat or cholesterol, and are a good source of dietary fiber.
- Lychee – high levels of vitamin C and contains high amounts of antioxidants
- Melon and watermelon – refreshing fruits to keep you hydrated and refreshed during the hotter months
There is a reason that fruits are seasonal. They provide us with the nutrients and vitamins that our body needs during the relevant seasons. For example, hydration during the hotter months and antioxidants during the colder months. Always opt for seasonal fruits. They prepare our body for the time ahead, and gives what we need right now. So always include them in your daily diet, and enjoy the rich spring fruit flavors!